Radon Swoop 200, custom battery build(s)

So, the first eBike I built for myself was a Canyon AM 8.0 which I first installed a BBS02 on and upgraded to the BBSHD after a month or so. Since my wife didn’t think I should make everything myself I bought a hailong battery with 13s5p LG-cells. It worked but the way I was riding the bike I could not find any method of getting the battery to stay on the frame. Eventually there was a combination of custom aluminium brackets, zipties and electrical tape which.. well, it wasn’t really my style.

Since I was 20kg heavier back then and the AM wasn’t really made for the kind of riding I did I eventually got an ok to upgrade to a used Radon Swoop 200 I found online.
Since the shape of the swoop frame doesn’t allow for a standard battery and since I wanted as much capacity I could possibly fit in the frame..

RunstenRacing battery version 1.0
Amazingly I fit 98 cells into the frame making this a 14s7p battery with a huge capacity of 24.5 Ah and almost 1.3kWh.

This frame however did not allow for mounting the BBSHD in any good way so it was pointing straight down. With 200mm of travel there’s not much room under the chainwheel when fully compressing the suspension on landing. After having been thrown a couple of times over the handlebars due to the motor hitting the ground I eventually “upgraded” to the CYC X1 pro. The style of mounting of this motor is much better suited to my style of frame.

Well, the CYC with the BAC855 can handle 72v..

RunstenRacing battery version 2.0

I really don’t know how, but I found room for 2 more cells rendering this a 20s5p battery. Since the 50A cont output of the MJ1 in a 5p configuration is not enough for the BAC855 I upgraded to SonyMurata cells capable of 35A each giving a total of 175A continuous power output – which is INSANE. The downside is that the Sony cells only had 2600mAh capacity, so this battery was a 72V battery with 13Ah capacity, or almost 0,95kWh. A lot less than the LG cells would have given but you can’t have a battery that’s not up to the job!

Well, since I wanted a lot of power output I bought a DALY BMS, 100A and 20s. That’s the red thing mounted under the frame. It was too big to fit inside the battery in any good way. This was a bit awkward but it worked, for a while..

One day the bike just wouldn’t turn on. Turned out the BMS was fried for some odd reason! Well, now I had no way of balancing the battery cells so..

RunstenRacing battery version 3.0

New design, new detachable mounting system with the same 20s5p layout using Molicel cells with the same 35A output and 2600mAh capacity as before. This time I bought a cheap BMS that fit inside the battery. Since the maximum output of that BMS is 30-ish amps I simply didn’t route the power cables through the BMS, so it’s just for carging and balancing the cells. Works flawlessly.

I really like the new design too but the mounting system is just too much trouble to be worth it. I won’t make another battery using that.
The idea was to have a battery that was easy to remove so we could build extra batteries to charge while we were riding so we could simply swap batteries when empty and go on riding.. This is still an idea but this mounting solution isn’t good enough.

Kommentera

E-postadressen publiceras inte. Obligatoriska fält är märkta *

Säkerhetsfråga * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.